Black and White Damask

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Midsummer Solstice

Since this is my first blogging experience, I think people deserve a little explanation, so here goes:

Just so we're clear, my name is Celeste. I was once visiting my aunt and her family in Colorado. There I met my cousin's friend Adam. After I left, Adam said, "I wonder what Solstice is doing?"
"Solstice? Who's Solstice?" asked my cousin Dixon.
"Solstice. You know, your cousin."
"Oh, you mean Celeste."

Hence, my nickname was born. All my cousins now call me Solstice. Hey, why not? Celeste doesn't usually constitute any nicknames the way the name Joe may have a nickname like "Java" or "Latte." You know, like a "cup of joe" is coffee... You follow, right? Anyway...

So here's my blog called "A Midsummer Solstice." Because my life is currently at its midsummer point. I've passed my spring beginning and established my summer, so I'm working my way through my summer. Fall is where I get married and have kids and it all goes downhill from there.

The other day--I can't remember which one--I saw something amazing. Sadly, I can't remember what happened because if I had a blog then, I most definitely would have remembered long enough to come blog it, but it was not so. I made a mental note to remember it and say it on facebook, but since facebook is slightly more fleeting than a blog... well, I lost that amazing memory. Temporarily anyway. Hopefully I remember it soon.

Because this is a blog for things I witness and think worthy of note. Because I have a lot of epiphanies and times where I just get lost in thought and I need to share those thoughts. I know I'd be able to share it more easily in writing because I just love words! I think words drive a harder point when you're reading them instead of hearing them. Because when you read them you have time to really think about them. Instead of, for example, hearing someone say something truly amazing and you go, "Oh that's pretty cool," you could be reading those same words and you could instead think, "Wow, I never thought of it that way. I guess that could be like a metaphor for the way we just keep on going and..." Well, you get the picture. In the time you could have thought that, the person saying those words would already be on to some other amazing idea. And you have no time to savor what they said before.

I'm rambling. And I may do that a lot, and I apologize in advance for every ramble-session to come. Enjoy my new blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment