Black and White Damask

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Five Things to Say That Will Make You Sound Smarter

No joke. Here's the list:

1. When someone explains something to you, don't say, "Oh." Rather, say, "Ah." Try it some time. And try looking thoughtful.

2. Do not say, "it's not." Try, "it isn't" instead. Then people can't accuse you of talking about mucus.

3. When speaking in comparison with someone else, use the proper grammar. For example, "We all know that she is a better chef than I," not "than me."

4. Use the word "rather" when appropriate. (Can't you see how well it's worked for me so far?)

5. When your name is requested after you've answered the phone, reply with, "This is she" or "This is he," depending on your gender, of course. Yes, it is proper grammar.

I hope you enjoyed this little tidbit. Until next time!

EDIT: I think from now on, I'll do a post like this at least once a month. A list of something, anything, useful or no. So, keep your eyes peeled for the first week of May!

Celeste

"Your momma wears wooden galoshes!"

1 comment:

  1. Ah... I see! I know you wrote this post over a year ago but I only read it just now and I love it. So funny and so true. I'm going to be looking for opportunities to use these tips all day today.

    ReplyDelete